Description of Campriano
Campriano, in addition to being a place of rare historic and natural beauty, is a farm of 350 hectares acquired by the Neri family in 1914. The farm, in addition to 200 hectares of land covered by holm oak and oak forests as well as other vegetation native to the Mediterranean, produces grains and forages on 120 hectares.
The remaining portion is occupied by 15 hectares of vineyards and 7.5 hectares of specialized olive groves. While the grains and forages are cultivated on the Crete region’s clayey lands of Pliocene origin, the vineyards and olive groves are located in the area characterized by stony, calcareous, medium blend lands facing south, southeast at an altitude of 350m.
Vines planted in the period from 1964-1975 have gradually been renewed and integrated with new plants. 3.80 hectares from 1964 and 1971 are still in production, with a density of 3,800/4,000 plants per hectare. 3.15 hectares were planted In 1995 with a density of 4,444 plants per hectare, followed in 1999 by 3.35 hectares with 4.700 plants per hectare, and 5.0 hectares in 2004 and 2005 with a density of 4,900 plants per hectare.
All vines are trained in low spurred cordon and the main varieties are Sangiovese and Canaiolo Nero for the red grapes, which make up 90% of the vines, and Trebbiano Toscano and Malvasia del Chianti for the white grapes. Some of the new developments include experimentation with varieties such as Vermentino , Ciliegiolo and Syrah..